Shanghai Administration Bureau of NGOs is a government functional department responsible for the registration and administration of non-government organizations (NGOs) in Shanghai. Its main duties are:
(1) to implement the policies, laws, rules and regulations concerning NGOs, study and draft relevant regulations and rules and draw up the development plans and policies of NGOs on the basis of the realities of Shanghai.
(2) To conduct research on the major topics in the development of NGOs in Shanghai; to give proposals on NGOs’ planning program and new policy promulgation, and to coordinate and assist NGOs’ implementation of the plan and adaptation to the new policies.
(3) It is responsible for examining and approving the preparation and establishment of municipal-level NGOs, checking them up annually, and examining and administering their salary funds.
(4) As the municipal authority of the NGOs’ associations, drafting the reform and development plans and policies for the associations, and organizing education and training for the persons in charge of the associations.
(5) Directing NGOs to establish and improve their various management systems, carrying out standardization development of NGOs; organizing and directing training programs for NGOs; assisting in their Party building work.
(6) Directing the registration of the citizens’ self-organized activity groups; carrying out research on and being responsible for the registration and administration of foreign-related NGOs; directing the international and interregional exchanges and cooperation of NGOs.
(7) Supervising their activities, investigating and punishing their illegal acts.
(8) Developing an information-sharing mechanism by integrating and utilizing resources of different departments to provide NGOs with services as policy consultation, information publication, human resource development and encouraging exchanges and cooperation.
(9) Handling relevant administrative reconsiderations and responding to administrative litigations.
(10) Undertaking other matters as may be assigned by Shanghai Municipal Government.
Director: Li Zheng; Deputy Directors: Jia Yong ; Zeng YongHe
Setup: Comprehensive Affairs Division (Administrative Division for Foreign-related NGOs); Division of Registration; Administrative Division for Social Organizations; Administrative Division for Foundations; Administrative Division for Civilian-run Non-Profit Units; NGO Service Division.